From Romans to New York mobsters
Green rose of life is called artichokes and stems from the family Asteraceae. It grows in southern Europe, the Mediterranean and the Canary Islands.
Always appreciated and plant grown in forty species.
- Artichoke is one of the oldest plants used by the ancient Greeks and Romans as an aphrodisiac or a means of obtaining male descendants.
- The most famous fan of artichokes Catherine de Medici, the French have met with him, which gave him the epithet superb delicacy widely and began to produce it.
- In the thirties of the last century New York mobsters had an absolute monopoly on the market with artichokes, so the mayor banned.
Composition and therapeutic properties of artichoke
Artichokes are a good source of
- Folic acid
- vitamin C, K and B.
- minerals like copper, calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus.
- Antioxidants: cynarin, silymarin, caffeine and ferulichna acid, smaller amounts of beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin
Fresh artichoke is excellent food during the conception and planning of pregnancy because of the abundance of folic acid, which prevents disruption of the neural tube in the fetus.
Artichokes may help in the treatment of:
- liver and kidney
- diseases of the heart and blood vessels
- gall stone
- allergiesArtichoke is the guardian of your heart
Artichokes effectively reduces bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol. Unlike medicines, from the group of statins, artichokes not reduce cholesterol synthesis but also increases its decomposition.
Cinatin and sesquiterpen – lactone from artichokes are responsible for its beneficial effects on the heart and blood vessels. They prevent diseases of blood vessels, angina pectoris, myocardial infarction and stroke.
Natural remedy for gallstones
The extract from the leaves of artichoke stimulates bile, which is essential for digestion of fats and cholesterol, which otherwise lead to the formation of gallstones. Cinatinot of artichokes is so effective that in some European countries are used as part of treatment for gallstones.
Artichoke extract has an extremely beneficial effect on the health of the liver and helps in the following ways:
- reduces the level of fat
- protects against damage and toxins
- assists in cirrhosis
- prevents cancer liver
- It prevents diseases of the liver caused by excessive alcohol intake
Artichokes IN THE KITCHEN
Artichokes is very popular throughout Europe. Most often prepared as fried, grilled, alone or with vegetables, beans or pasta. Raw did not eat, because it is difficult digestible. The main part we eat is the heart of artichokes, while young fruits can be eaten whole, while in mature leaves are removed and the hard top of the stem.
Tincture of artichoke
- 400 to 500 grams of leaves of artichokes are standing for one to two weeks in one liter of alcohol.
- Drain and drink one to two tablespoons per day.
A few leaves of artichokes pour them with half a liter of boiling water, leave for 15 minutes, then drain and drink it. It works similarly to the dry extract from the leaves of artichokes.
Artichoke with young beans
- Young half kilogram beans
- ten artichokes
- half clove garlic
- olive oil
- Artichoke dip and a half hours in the water to lose its bitterness. Make a compact mixture of beans, garlic, parsley, olive oil and breadcrumbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the artichokes with this mixture, place in a pan facing up, pour olive oil, pour water to the edge of artichokes, add salt, pepper and parsley.
- Cover them and put them to boil and sizzle over low heat for about an hour and a half.